10.27.2010

Total Failure - The Headboard that never was

I have a 3 bedroom house - and since it is just the two of us (and the two furry kids) we have a master bedroom, a guest bedroom, and an office. We put our office in the smallest room of the house when we moved it - which made perfect sense at the time, but not any more. With projects, and sewing, and pieces of furniture, etc, our office was always a mess and over crowded. Meanwhile, the guest bedroom was hardly touched.  So I decided it was time to do a switcharoo.  Yes - it was mainly out of need, but my fingers were itching to do some designing. 

Below is our huge, messy desk in our initial office.  It is tucked into a nice little corner that I thought would be a nice place for a bed.


And the bed did work perfectly there - but it was boring!


Enter the disaster that was the headboard:

I was going to made a floor to ceiling, wall to wall headboard. And it was going to be AWESOME. So, I started by cutting out 1 ft squares on plywood, and then covering them with batting and material. 


Once I started laying them side by side is when the issues started. Adding the batting and material had made the squares not so square. Therefore, when trying to align them - it wasn't working.



My awesome headboard was not looking so awesome, but I decided to trek on, I had already gotten this far.  Besides, maybe from far away people wouldn't be able to notice. 

So - with the help of the hubs (who is an engineer- by the way - he should know how to do this) we tried to hang the slightly less than awesome headboard.

 

We found the studs, and began to hang the headboard....



When the weight of the headboard pulled itself off the screws. I knew when it was time to throw in the towel.

And so I was back to this....


Luckily I had a back up plan. 

I love birch tress - pictures of them, material, on wallpaper.  I had been eying the birch tree shades at IKEA, but had no use for them... until now


 A little sewing and I had myself a perfect plan B headboard.


What do you think?


And yes - to be perfectly honest with you, I debated keeping this all a secret, pretending like I never do anything wrong.  But life is too short to not laugh at yourself. So, if you would like to share any DIY disasters to make me feel better I would love that. :)

5 comments:

Kim @The Little Things said...

Plan B looks great in that space! I for one appreciate you sharing your not so successful Plan A because that happens to me all. the. time. Its nice to know I'm not alone. :)

courtney said...

This is great! I can't tell you how many times I struggle through a project that eventually bites the dust. LOVE your solution. Modern and rugged!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea though - it would have been great! I think anyone that DIYs at all runs into this problem at least once. Your alternate solution works nicely in the space too.

Janna McCalley said...

Awesome! Now I for sure need to use those curtains in my client's project. They look better here than on the ikea website!
Thanks for stopping by my site!
Janna

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Although Plan A was a great idea, Plan B is awesome!! The birch trees look great. And everybody needs an epic fail from time to time, ha! :)